Ask a group of people what their least favorite activity is and answers will usually range from spending the day...
Teeth Whitening in Tustin and Santa Ana
Teeth whitening is a simple and cost-effective treatment that brightens the smile. It can be performed to simply remove stains and return teeth to their natural appearance, or as a bleaching process that lightens the dentin inside the teeth, creating a whiter look. While whitening will work for most patients, those who have darkened teeth will not see optimal results.
If you are considering teeth whitening in Santa Ana, Tustin or the neighboring areas, LifeTime Smiles of OC would be happy to sit down with you to explain the available options.
Am I a Candidate for Teeth Whitening?
You may be a suitable candidate for teeth whitening if you have tooth stains or discolorations due to any of the following:
- Consumption of beverages like soda, coffee, wine and tea
- Tobacco use
- Certain medications like tetracycline
- Trauma to the teeth
- The natural effects of the aging process
Your teeth should be healthy and free of any decay or gum disease. Ideally, you should not have any crowns or veneers, as restorations do not respond to teeth whitening or bleaching treatments.
Teeth whitening is not suitable for individuals with gum disease or tooth decay, women that are pregnant or nursing or children under the age of 16.
Teeth Whitening Systems
There are several whitening systems available to our cosmetic dentistry patients:
- One-hour whitening: The dentist will protect the gums, cheeks and lips with barriers and place a peroxide gel on the teeth. After one hour, Santa Ana / Tustin teeth whitening patients can see up to a three-shade difference in tooth color.
- Custom-tray whitening. This approach is sometimes preferred because it puts patients in complete control of the process. After the dentist takes impressions of the teeth to create custom trays, patients only need to fill the trays with a special whitening gel and wear them for a certain period of time every day. The process can be stopped when the desired whitening has been achieved. The patient can periodically use the trays and gel again for maintenance.
- Opalescence Go whitening. This system uses pre-made trays that utilize natural mouth suction to fit on the teeth. There are six trays for both the lower and upper teeth, and the patient wears them for 60 minutes per day. The trays can be thrown away after use and do not require an appointment for a custom fitting.
- Whitening strips. While this method offers the convenience of being available at most stores, it does not provide the same results as prescription whitening systems.
How long the results of time whitening will last depends on patients’ lifestyle habits. Avoiding beverages like coffee, tea and red wine can extend the whitening period. Whitening strips and stain-removing toothpaste can be helpful but will not restore the previous level of brightness. In some cases, professional treatment will need to be repeated.
For those who do not have extensive dental issues, teeth whitening in Tustin and Santa Ana is a great choice for a brighter smile. Call or email LifeTime Smiles of OC today to book a consultation to discuss teeth whitening.