Ask a group of people what their least favorite activity is and answers will usually range from spending the day...
Dental Bonding Tustin and Santa Ana
Dental bonding is a cosmetic dentistry procedure that improves the appearance of teeth that are chipped, have discoloration or are decayed. In other cases, bonding treatment is used to improve tooth shape, close the gaps between teeth, cover exposed roots and replace amalgam fillings. Dental bonding can be completed in one appointment and is less expensive than crowns or veneers.
Individuals seeking a dentist to perform dental bonding in Santa Ana and Tustin come to LifeTime Smiles of OC for excellent service and beautiful results.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding may be right for you if you are looking for a quick, inexpensive way to conceal small dental imperfections. Bonding can fix the following cosmetic concerns:
- Small chips or cracks in the teeth
- Tooth stains or discoloration
- Small spaces between the teeth
- Exposed tooth roots
- Abnormally shaped or sized teeth
If your dental needs are more complex — for example, one of your teeth is broken or missing — another cosmetic or restorative dentistry option may be more appropriate to rebuild or replace the tooth. Our team of dentists can examine your mouth and recommend the most suitable treatment option.
The Bonding Process
The first step in the process is a discussion with one of our Tustin / Santa Ana bonding dentists regarding the best color of composite material. When this has been selected, the procedure is done in the following stages:
- Abrasion: This makes the surface of the tooth rough and prepares it for etching solution to be applied.
- Bonding agent: This adheres the bonding material to the tooth.
- Composite resin: The dentist will use this material in small amounts while shaping it. It will then be exposed to a special curing light for hardening.
- Trim and polish: The composite material is trimmed and sculpted until the desired result is achieved. The dentist will then polish the tooth for smoothness and luster.
- Occlusion check: The dentist will check the bite and make any necessary adjustments.
Dental Bonding Aftercare
While bonding is an effective restoration method, the resin used has porous qualities and will not last for a lifetime. The procedure will need to be repeated periodically due to wear and staining. To extend the life of composite material, patients should follow a regular routine of flossing, brushing and professional cleanings.
Certain lifestyle habits, such as drinking coffee, tea and red wine, need to be adjusted in order to preserve the bonding. Ice chewing and fingernail biting are bad habits that may cause the bonding to crack or even fall off the tooth. A patient’s oral habits will determine how long the bonding will last and how frequently it will require replacement.
Learn More about Dental Bonding
Bonding is a fast and cost-effective way to improve a smile. Those who are interested in exploring their options for dental bonding in Tustin, Santa Ana or the nearby areas should consult with the team at LifeTime Smiles of OC to determine if bonding is the right procedure for their needs.